2019 short track mountain bike event series
Every Tuesday (9 races in total) 2020 dates tbd
Not sure if your child will like the series? Try out a race for a $10 drop-in fee. If they like it, pay the difference and race the entire series. If it's not their thing, leave with a number plate, and try again next year.
What is Short Track?
Short track is spectator friendly mountain bike event. We have a great loop at Africville Lookoff Park on Halifax Peninsula. Races are 20 to 30 minutes long and all skill levels are welcome.
- Fast and Furious MTB races
- Great for kids and speed demons alike
- Rider friendly courses
- Kick/balance bikes, 12", 16", 20", 24" wheels all work great on the course. Any bike in safe working order will do.
Africville Lookoff Park - Upper Portion at end of Novalea Drive, overlooking the MacKay Bridge. Closest car parking is on Kencrest Ave and Ridge Road at the end of Novalea Drive
Notes for Participants
Chip timing for U13, U15, and 15+ categories. This allows us to have more accurate and precise timing. It also offers live result tracking during the race, which means if you can't watch the event live, it's available to view online.
- All racers should bring a water bottle
- Prizes are drawn at the end of each race
- Be aware of adult races taking place when leaving the park. Race courses often cross walking paths.
- HRM Wet Weather Field Restrictions apply. Check our website for weather updates on race day
- There is an easier inner loop for U8 and U10 racers that avoids harder sections of the main loop.
- A photo release waiver is available at the registration table for parents who give permission to use photographs and video in print and online
- Bring plates to each race
- For timed categories - please ensure you get your chip before your start time, put it on, and return it to organizers after the race.
Fees & Registration
Entry fee is $45 for any age, any ability, and covers the full season. We keep it simple with one fee. The earlier you register, then more races you can enjoy.
Categories for 2020:
Under 8 (boys/girls): max 100 participants (U8/U10 combined)
Under 10 (boys/girls): max 100 participants (U8/U10 combined)
Under 13 (boys/girls): max 40 participants
Under 15 (boys/girls): max 40 participants
Adult 15yo+ (boys/girls): max 100 participants
There is a cap on registration due to course size and our concern for the safety of participants.
Online registration only.
Note sure if you child will like the series? Test the track. There is a one time only drop in fee of $10 for all youth categories(U8/10/13/15). This will be credited toward full season registration fees.
Race 1 (starts 6:30 pm), 20 minutes plus one lap
- Under 15: 13 and 14 years old
- Under 13: 12, 10, and 11 years old
- Under 10: 8 and 9 years old
- Under 8: 5, 6, and 7 years old
Race 2 (7:15pm) - Approx. 30 minutes plus one lap
- Adult: 15+ years old
* Note: The age is a good guideline for categories, but kids develop at different ages, and you can certainly move your child up an age category at anytime during the series. Please let volunteers know before the event so they can change the race category.
We don't ride in the park when the ground is likely to be churned up into mud. If it's raining or has rained a lot in the past 12 hours, please check here for cancellations. The decision is typically made by 3pm the day of the event.
If in doubt, we do follow the Halifax Field Conditon guidelines.