2019 short track mountain bike event series
2019 Registration opens soon
Every Tuesday between June 4 - July 30, 2019 (9 races in total)
Not sure if your child will like the series? Try out a race for a $10 drop-in fee! If they like it, you can pay the difference and race the entire series, if it's not their thing, leave with a number plate, and try again next year.
What is Short Track?
Short track is spectator friendly mountain bike event. We have a great loop at Africville Lookoff Park at the top of the Halifax Peninsula. Try out cross country mountain bike racing right in the city. Races are 20 minutes to 30 minutes long and everyone is welcome.
- Fast and Furious MTB races!
- Great for kids and speed demons alike.
- Rider friendly courses.
- Kick/balance bikes, 12", 16", 20", 24" wheels all work great on the course, and any bike in safe working order will do!
Africville Lookoff Park - Upper Portion at end of Novalea Drive, overlooking the MacKay Bridge. Closest car parking is on Kencrest Ave and Ridge Road at the end of Novalea Drive
Notes for Participants
Chip timing for U13, U15 and 15+ categories. This will allow us to have more accurate and precise timing. It will also offer us live result tracking during the race, for those who can't watch the event live, they can online!
- Recommend you have a bottle of water for the racers
- Don't forget that there are draw prizes at the end of each race
- Be careful for the adult race taking place when leaving the park. The race courses will often cross walking paths.
- Remember that the HRM Wet Weather Field Restrictions apply to our event, thus check the website if it's a rainy day
- We will have an easier inner loop for the Under 8 and Under 10 aged racers that will avoid the harder sections at the next race. They still start with the Under 13 and Under 15 at 6:30pm.
- We would like to post pictures of the young racers competing at Short Track on the Cyclesmith website. There will be a sheet at the registration table for parents to sign for those that are happy to give permission to do so.
- Don't forget to bring your plates to each race!
- For those timed categories - please ensure you get your chip before your start time, put it on, and after the race, return it to the race organizers.
Fees & Registration
Entry fee is $45 for any age, any ability and covers every race. We keep it simple, one fee. The earlier you register, then more races you can enjoy!
Categories for 2019:
Under 8 (boys/girls) max 100 participants (combined with U10)
Under 10 (boys/girls) max 100 participants (combined with U8)
Under 13 (boys/girls) max 40 participants
Under 15 (boys/girls) max 40 participants
Adult 15yo+ (boys/girls) max 100 participants
Please note there is a cap this year on registration due to the limitation of course size, and our concern for safety of the participants.
Online registration only (opening soon)
Note sure if you child will like the series - test the waters. There is a one time only, one event only drop in fee for all youth categories(U8/10/13/15) of $10 - which is credited toward the series fee if the youth likes the event and wants to participate again.
Race 1 (starts 6:30 pm), 20 minutes plus one lap
- Under 15: 13 and 14 years old
- Under 13: 12, 10, and 11 years old
- Under 10: 8 and 9 years old
- Under 8: 5, 6, and 7 years old
Race 2 (7:15pm) - Approx. 30 minutes plus one lap
- Adult: 15+ years old
* Note: The age is a good guideline for categories, but kids all develope at different ages, and you can certainly move your child up an age catagory at anytime during the series. Please let the volunteers know before the event so they can change the category
We don't ride in the park when the ground is likely to be churned up into mud. If its raining, or has rained alot in the past 12 hours, please check if the event is a go. The decision is typically made by 3pm the day of the event
If in doubt we do follow the Halifax Field Conditons
Check here or our FaceBook page for updates if the weather is questionable.